Bird in Hand Farm

Bird in Hand Farm is an imaginary place.


Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A package came!


The Blog Hub on Ravelry is hosting a swap.  Eskimimi is the swap Mom.  I have never done a swap before.  Basically, you sign up, complete a questionnaire, and get randomly assigned to put together a package of goodies for another person in the group.  This swap was designed to be incorporated into our blogging.  We each will send seven individually wrapped packages and be able to write about what we receive.  The "spend range" is around $40.  There are required items: yarn, notions, embellishments, and a pattern.  The rest is up to us.

Laura from Sudden Expression got me.  Laura has been really supportive of my blog and has a wonderful blog of her own subtitled: Ranting and Raving About Yarn and Life.  Check it out.  Her amazing photographs of the German countryside and fun take on life and everything make it one of my favorite blogs.  I'm really excited to see what treats she has found in Germany and grateful that she got my name.

I'm also grateful to Laura because she is a military spouse.  We are now much quicker to recognize our service men and women and thank them for their efforts and sacrifice.  That is good.  But it it is not enough.  Behind each person who serves in the military is an entire family who loves them, supports them, and most of all worries for them.  Especially the spouses.  They live in foreign countries, put their careers on hold, struggle to be able to go to school, and somehow hold it all together.   We need to recognize their sacrifice too. Thank you Laura.

Now back to the box...

There are six wrapped packages.  The 7th present is the fabric that the packages are wrapped in.   I was going to be obnoxious and guess what is in each package, but I won't.  My Dad used to guess each of his Christmas presents by shaking the boxes.  Shake, shake, shake: "Humm.  It's a yellow sweater."  He was usually right, so my aunt started wrapping a little box with two pennies in it into each of his gifts.  Problem solved. 

Since I opened the box tonight, today's gift is the fabric.  It is a very elegant brown floral on a plum background.  Funny how I dusted off the sewing machine last night...  Ideas are already percolating.

Thank you Laura!

8 comments:

  1. That's a really pretty fabric - what you will make with it ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heartfelt paragraph! I thought you would have guessed that it was me, since I seemed to have been stalking your blog! Always commenting! I hope you enjoy all the gifts! I've had fun picking them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh pretty fabric. Do tell...any ideas for it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute and creative way to wrap your gifts! Love that fabric and can't wait to see what they all have inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty fabric! can't wait to see what's in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous fabric... what a cool way to wrap the presents...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fabric is lovely, I can't wait to see what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete