Bird in Hand Farm

Bird in Hand Farm is an imaginary place.


Thursday, September 2, 2010

Things that stay done

If I looked at all the dishes I will wash in my lifetime stacked up in one big pile, I would lie down and die.

People ask me how I can make quilts.  They assume that I must be an incredibly patient person.  I am not patient.  Just ask my ex-husband.  Making a quilt involves thousands of steps.  There is limited instant gratification and the day a quilt is truly finished is a big day.  I don't quilt so much any more.  I have a sewing room, but I don't want to be away from my family for hours and it just does not fit into my life at this point.  Knitting does.

I started making Shelly Kang's Sock Yarn Blanket to use up all the left over bits of sock yarn that I could not bear to part with, but there was not enough of to make anything substantial.  The kid knows that it is for her and that it might be done before she goes to college.  It has the some of the feel of making a quilt.  You can work for 40 minutes and really all you have accomplished is a 2" square. 

But that square, tiny as it is, stays done.  The dishes, laundry, sweeping, wiping, brushing, shoveling, digging, raking, folding, cooking, etc don't.  There will be more tomorrow and the next day.  No wonder I like quilting and knitting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment