Bird in Hand Farm

Bird in Hand Farm is an imaginary place.


Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dried Apples

We still have apples in a laundry basket.  I decided to try drying as an alternative form of preservation.  I don't have a dehydrator, so we used the oven.  Oven drying is a very energy inefficient way of drying, but it is cheaper than purchasing a dehydrator that I may not use.  I figure that if we use the apples, then maybe a dehydrator will be worth it.  But having never had or bought dried apples before, we will see how it goes.  

We sliced up 12 apples, then dipped them into a water-lemon juice solution.  They dried in the oven on warm  for about 7 hours.  I actually wound up turning the oven off, closing it and letting them continue to dry overnight. 

Twelve apples filled all four drying racks.  But when done, they went into a gallon freezer bag with lots of room to spare.  The kid says that they are good.  I'm going to try a second batch with sugar and cinnamon.

2 comments:

  1. A dehydrator is definitely worth it. I made jerky this weekend. Years ago, when I used to do the craft show circuit, I would make dried "apple ribbons". Using the corer/peeler/slicer...just throw the peel onto the dehydrator. Red and green apples, then would add it to the spicy potpourri that I sold. Was a huge huge hit, always ran out early in the shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought my dehydrator years ago, for about $20. I have made countless lbs of beef jerky and dried fruit (for decoration and consumption). Once I let the hunters know I had one, I was then making jerky for them, and keeping some for myself for the time and trouble. Absolutely a great investment.

    ReplyDelete