Bird in Hand Farm

Bird in Hand Farm is an imaginary place.


Sunday, November 21, 2010

Beer Bread and Turban Squash Soup

A friend mentioned that her son had made beer bread.  My ears immediately perked up.  I can make that.  We have homemade beer.

I like this recipe from Food.com because it has the directions for both with and without self-rising flour.  I have never used self-rising flour, and I'm not going to buy some special to try out a bread recipe.  I used a German Spaten beer because that is what the farmer grabbed when he went to the basement, but I'm looking forward to trying this with other beers.  I also cut the butter down to 1/4 cup as suggested and that was plenty.  It mixed up in a snap.

The bread was great.

Since I wanted to try making the bread, I had to make a soup to go with it.  I decided to use the last turban squash. I based my soup on the Spicey Turban Squash Soup recipe.
  • 1 Turban Squash 
  • 4 Potatoes, diced
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
  • 2 large Carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 daikon radishes peeled and chopped
  • 4 chicken broth
  • 1cup milk
  • 1 TBS Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Turmeric
  • 1 tsp Fresh Ginger, minced
  • 1 TBS Red Pepper
  • 1 TBS Sugar
  • 2 tsp garam masala
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

    Basically, I used every root vegetable I could find in the house.   I didn't have what the recipe called for, but it did not matter.

    I roasted my squash at 375 for an hour and let it cool before I scooped it out.

    Saute the onion and garlic and then add everything but the milk and simmer until fork tender.

    Blast with a stick blender and then add the milk and adjust the spices until you are happy.  Mine has a bit of a kick.  
It is very good with the bread.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment