Bird in Hand Farm

Bird in Hand Farm is an imaginary place.


Saturday, November 6, 2010

Simple Solution



This summer I went shopping on-line at Webs.  They have 4/8 Wool Mill Ends on cones.  It is about 1,000 yards for $15.  That's a steal.  I picked up a cone of teal green with no particular idea of what to do with it.  I finally decided on this felted project.  But knitting off a cone is not easy.  It falls over and rolls away.  It had to be below me or I had to stop every so often to pull the yarn off the cone.  I started to think about either rewinding into cakes or buying one of those those plastic yarn jars.  Amazon has them for under $10.

Then the Farmer offered an empty oatmeal canister to the kid for whatever crafting she wanted to do with it.  She decided that the best thing to do with it was to create a storage container.  She took it, papered it, and painted it.    

The next morning, we realized that it would make a perfect yarn jar.  It is tall and has a lid that we cut a slit in and a hole for the yarn to come out of.  It does not fall over and the yarn feeds out of it easily.  I love it.  It was free.  Best of all, my daughter made it for me.





1 comment:

  1. I love that idea!! I'm going to make a big pot of oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow so I can use the can in our pantry to make one. Mine won't have such pretty decorations as yours, but that's ok. Thanks for sharing this idea!

    ReplyDelete