Bird in Hand Farm

Bird in Hand Farm is an imaginary place.


Sunday, January 9, 2011

Learning hand sewing

Kiddo was still talking about wanting to learn how to sew.  I went looking for children's sewing projects and was a bit disappointed.   There is not much out there, and most of what is, is to sew stuffed animals.  We DO NOT need any more stuffed animals in this house! 
I found this pattern on Martha Stewart's website.  Regardless of what you might think of Martha, her projects are decent.  It's really small, so hand sewing won't take too long.  It's supposed to be made with wool suiting material.  I think I have wool in the attic, but when it came time to start we decided that it was too cold to go look up there.  We went with some scraps that I had leftover from a project that uses felted sweaters.  We used the gray thread so that she could see what she was doing.  Our hand sewing is a bit primitive.  That's okay.  We stuffed them with catnip that we found in the pantry and some fiberfill.  We used yarn for the tails.  She was very excited to learn how to braid.
It was free.  She is proud of her work.  The cats adore them.  Hurray!

2 comments:

  1. How about a placemat purse?
    http://diyfashion.about.com/od/diyaccessories/ss/Placemat_5.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. My SD has expressed an interest in learning to sew. She is 14. I started her on some super easy sleep shorts and she made a couple of pillows this weekend. She likes using my serger the best. Makes her daddy happy to see her making things. (me too AND that she asked me to teach her!)

    ReplyDelete