Bird in Hand Farm

Bird in Hand Farm is an imaginary place.


Friday, June 10, 2011

My soap is stuck.

I made Cereal Killer soap.  Cute name huh?  It is a milk soap and I added ground oatmeal and crushed Fruit Loop-type cereal.  I was hoping that some of the colors of the cereal would survive the lye and color the soap.  It did not work.  It is a nice speckled brown. 
I used the Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, and Palm Oil Recipe from The Everything Soapmaking Book by Alicia Grosso.  She has good, solid recipes.  I admit I cheated and used water for the liquid and powdered milk to make it "milk soap".  I scented it with a blackberry fragrance oil.  Milk soap always has a weird ammonia/sulfur smell for a day or two.  Now, it actually does smell like cereal.  
The soap in the tray molds has been out, cut, and drying for a week.  The soap in the PVC pipe got stuck.  I tried pushing it out but only succeeded in mashing it up.  I ran out of options.  I stuck it in the freezer.  I left it in for an hour or so, but really, it only needed about 20 min.  Once I took it out and it started to warm up again, the condensation makes the soap slick and it slides right out.  Those nine little rounds of hand soap were stubborn! 


1 comment: