Bird in Hand Farm

Bird in Hand Farm is an imaginary place.


Monday, July 12, 2010

Just keep knitting...

Ever watched Finding Nemo?  Remember Dory?  "Just keep swimming.  Just keep swimming."  I have repeated that phase many times over the past few months.  I used to make quilts for the babies of family and friends.  Now, spending time in a sewing room just does not work with the family.   So I started a quilt for the last family baby and embarrassingly, I never finished it.  This was two years ago.  Now they have had another baby.   Yikes.

I decided to try to knit two baby blankets.  I didn't let the fact that I have never knit a blanket before stop me.  How hard can it be?  I cruised patterns on Ravelry.

The first pattern I found was the Baby Love Diagonal Baby Blanket on Lionbrand Patterns.  I liked the ones where people threaded ribbons through the yarn-over holes but my favorite one was done in stripes and changed halfway through.  I love the stripes, but weaving in all the ends was a chore.

The next pattern was the Moderne Baby Blanket from Mason-Dixon Knitting.  I liked that it was based on a quilt and required no sewing.  I apparently got stuck in a blue-green rut.  The yarn is the softest pima cotton called Crayon from Knitpicks.  I tried other color combos, but nothing else was doing it for me. Mason-Dixon Knitting is a good book.  I have made a couple of the patterns and the writing is fun and clear.  I got a ton of this blanket done while flying for work.  Yes, you can bring knitting needles on domestic flights.

I am soooo glad that these are done!  Not because they are late.  Really late.  No, I'm glad because they were literally miles of garter stitch knitting.  I'm not sure if I can purl anymore.  There were moments (okay days) when I thought they would never be finished.  I would plug along and knit some hoping that they would eventually add up to a blanket.  Finally, they did!

Now all I need to do is finish a Dead or Alive? fish hat for their big brother, write an apology/congratulations note, and get these in the mail.  Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment