Bird in Hand Farm

Bird in Hand Farm is an imaginary place.


Thursday, April 21, 2011

Test Knitting

One of my Saturday Knitting buddies wrote Fire In The Head, a pattern for fingerless mitts.  She recently re-wrote the pattern and asked for test knitters.  I have never test knit before.  It was an interesting experience.  It made me realize how many times I read a pattern and use my own technique to accomplish a pattern element.  This time (at least for the first one) I knit it exactly as directed.  I found a few minor typos, but otherwise it was very well written especially the bits that make the pleats.  She included a photo tutorial, but I did not need it.
I chose to use up a partial skein of alpaca that has been hanging around my stash.  As you can see, I used all but a few yards.  It does not show the pattern well, but it works well with all of my jackets and coats.  These were also a very quick knit.  It is very satisfying to make something in an evening and wear them while driving to work the next morning.  I love fingerless gloves.  I love mittens too, but with the gloves, you have warm hands while holding the cold steering wheel and I can use my hands.  With mittens I find that I have to take one off and that is a pain in the tuckus.
Hopefully, in a week or two I won't need them anymore for the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment