Bird in Hand Farm

Bird in Hand Farm is an imaginary place.


Friday, June 25, 2010

We spent how much on food?!

There was some drama on the farm this morning.  I looked at the bank account and added up all the money that had been spent at grocery stores in the month of June.  $840.  The month is not over yet!  Holy &*%$!  The farmer says that cannot be right and does the math himself.  $737.  One charge from Walmart - he went there, I didn't - was not for food.  Add to this, the $565 we spent on our CSA share for the season.  $1,300 spent on food in a month.  *thud*

We agreed that this is too much.  He shops too often.  We need to limit it to once a week with an agreed upon list.   The more you visit a grocery store, the more you will spend.  One of the secrets of saving money is to stay out of the darn stores.

So then I start wondering what is reasonable?  Google is my friend and pulls up one of my favorite sites:  The Simple Dollar. 


That was back in 2008.  What about now?

 The USDA still has a calculator.  Updated March 2010

For our family of three, with two adults and one child, the grocery budget numbers look like this:
Thrifty: $443     
Low cost: $575    
Moderate cost: $713    
Liberal cost: $876

Wow.  I really thought that we could eat well on about $400.  I guess I owe the farmer an apology.






No comments:

Post a Comment